Mental Health

Baker Act

The purpose of the Baker Act Petition is to initiate the Baker Act proceeding for emergency pickup and evaluation for persons who are mentally ill and refuse to seek treatment and are a danger to themselves and others. The Petition can be filed by a person(s) who has first hand knowledge of the situation.

All Baker Act cases are confidential and filed on an emergency basis. When the Judge signs the Order for Involuntary Examination the Respondent is picked up by the Sheriff’s Office and delivered to the Lakeview in Pensacola for evaluation. The remaining court process is handled through the Circuit Court.

For more information concerning the Baker Act, please visit our Baker Act section.

Marchman Act (Substance Abuse)

The purpose of this Petition is to obtain a Court Order for substance abuse treatment when the Respondent has refused to voluntarily receive care. A petition for involuntary assessment and stabilization may be filed by the respondent’s spouse or legal guardian, any relative, a private practitioner, the director of a licensed service provider or the director’s designee, or an adult who has direct personal knowledge of the respondent’s substance abuse impairment. 

The Marchman Act cases are confidential. Once the Judge hears the case and has signed the Order, the Respondent is scheduled for an appointment with {} for evaluation and recommended treatment.

For more information concerning the Marchman Act, please visit our Marchman Act section.

Adult Protective Services

These Petitions are filed by the Department of Children and Families when the Department has reason to believe a disabled or elderly adult is being neglected, abused or exploited and the person lacks the capacity to consent to services being granted. A Court Order allows the Department of Children and Families to provide services to the disabled or elderly adult.

Forms Disclaimer

Please read the instructions for the forms that you are downloading. Additional forms may be needed depending on your situation.

Note: The forms supplied by the Clerk’s office are general in nature and may not meet your specific needs. The Clerk does not guarantee the legal sufficiency of these forms; therefore, you may need to consult with an attorney regarding your particular situation.