Skip to main content Skip to navigation
December 11, 2019     
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Court Services > County Civil / Small Claims
Court Services - County Civil / Small Claims

Small Claims
A Small Claims Case is a legal action filed in county Court to settle minor legal disputes among parties where the dollar amount involved is greater than $0 but less than $5,000 excluding costs, interest and attorney fees.

County Civil
A County Civil Case is a legal action filed in county Court to settle legal disputes among parties where the dollar amount involved is greater than $5,000 but less than $15,000 excluding costs, interest and attorney fees.

Contact Information

County Civil Division

Telephone: (850) 595-4170   

Room 23010 - Second Floor
190 W Government St
Pensacola, Florida  32502
Clerk of the Circuit Court
County Civil Division
P.O. Box 333
Pensacola, Florida  32591-0333

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I collect money from someone that owes me?
You can bring your case through Small Claims Court if the amount owed does not exceed $5,000.00.

Who can file in Small Claims Court?
Any person(s) eighteen (18) years or older or any individual(s) doing business as a company may file a Small Claims case. A parent or guardian may file on behalf of a minor child. Each person who is a plaintiff in the claim must appear at the Clerk's Office to sign the complaint in the presence of a deputy clerk, or the the signature must be notarized.

How much does it cost to file in Small Claims Court?
Please consult the fee schedule.

What forms of payment do you accept?
Generally, the Clerk's Office accepts cash, personal check, Mastercard, and Visa for the payment of filing fees.  However, the Sheriff's fee must be paid using a Business Check or Money Order payable to the "Escambia County Sheriff's Office".

What do I need to bring in if I want to file a Small Claims suit against someone?
The paperwork needed for filing a suit in Small Claims will vary from case to case. You will need to bring three (Xerox) copies of any documentation that actually shows where the money being sued for has been expended. That could include anything from contracts, promissory notes, invoices, bills, estimates, etc...

Do you have the forms for me to pick up?
We do have the forms for filing your suit and information sheets explaining the process. Also, it is very important that you file your claim against the right party. The additional time you spend researching the correct name could make a difference in whether you are able to collect should a judgment be entered by the court in your favor.

What if I am suing a company?
If you are suing an individual doing business as a company, a partnership where there are several people doing business as a company, a corporation or an insurance company, it is important for you to research this information carefully. You can contact the Florida Secretary of State at 850-488-9000 to find out if the company is incorporated.

What do I do if I want a jury trial to be set on my case?
You must request this in your original complaint or the defendant can request a jury trial in their original answer. However, the Clerk does not assist with this procedure in any way.

How long after I file the suit will it go to court?
Your case will be set for pretrial/mediation first, which normally is held within 50 days after your suit is filed. Any cases filed by an attorney or a bank or finance company will be set for pretrial and have the option to select mediation. All other cases filed will be set for mediation. These cases are ordered by the Court to attempt to settle the case by mediation.

What will happen at the mediation session?
Both you and the party that you are suing will sit down with a mediator to see if you can work out an agreement. If you are able to reach an agreement, that agreement will be binding and if the defendant fails to comply with the agreement you can request a judgment at that time.
If you are not able to reach an agreement or the defendant denies owing the money, the case will be referred to the Judge for a pretrial to be held. The case will then be set for a final hearing to go before the Judge to make a determination in the case.

What if the party I am suing does not appear for the pretrial/mediation?
You will be awarded a default final judgment.

If the case has to be set for a final hearing, how soon will it be heard?
The final hearing will be set in approximately six to eight weeks, depending on the Court's calendar.

How will I be notified of the date of the final hearing?
You will be sent a hearing notice in the mail.

How do I subpoena a witness to the hearing?
Contact the Clerk's office when you receive your notice in the mail and we will go over the procedures at that time. The fee to have a subpoena issued is $7.00. You will need to provide us with the name and the address of the person(s) you wish to subpoena. There is a $5.00 witness fee plus $0.06 cents per mile to and from the court. This fee is to be paid to the witness.

Will the final hearing be held in a courtroom?
Normally, the final hearings are held in a courtroom with the litigants and their witnesses present. If the case is to be set for a jury trial, the jury trial will be held in a courtroom.

What happens to my case if a settlement is reached, prior to the final hearing?
If at any time in the proceedings a settlement is reached between the parties, the plaintiff (person(s) who filed the suit) must notify the Clerk's office in writing of that settlement.

If the judge rules on my behalf, what does this mean?
If the Judge rules on your behalf, a final judgment will be entered in your favor against the defendant(s).

What is a final judgment and how do I collect my money?
A final judgment is a legal document stating that this money is owed to you.  You must use the final judgment to collect your money against the defendant(s).

How do I obtain a lien against the Respondent/Defendant’s real property?
You may obtain a certified copy of the final judgment from the Clerk’s office, service charges are required. The lien may be recorded in Official Records and will act as a lien against the other party’s real property for 10 years. The lien may be extended for another 10 years, by re-recording a certified copy of the judgment and simultaneously recording an affidavit with the current address of the person who has a lien as a result of the judgment. See Section 55.10(2), Florida Statutes.
The Plaintiff may also file a Judgment Lien Certificate with the Department of State to obtain a lien on the Defendant’s personal property located anywhere in Florida. The liens lapse after 5 years, but can be extended another 5 years by filing another judgment lien certificate. See Sections 55.204(1) & (3), Florida Status. Visit for more information and forms.

Writ of Execution/Writ of Garnishment
The Plaintiff may ask the Clerk’s Office to issue a Writ of Execution (directing the sheriff to levy on available non-exempt personal or real property of the Defendant) or Writ of Garnishment (seeking to have a portion of the Defendant’s wages withheld). See Florida Rules of Civil Procedure 1.550 and 1.907; Florida Small Claims Rule 7.200; and Chapter 77, Florida Statutes. Court rules may be viewed online at .

What are the rights as a defendant or respondent?
Please refer to the Florida Bar's Small claims: The who, what, where and why of collection lawsuits


NOTE: The forms supplied by the Clerk's office are general in nature and may not meet your specific needs. The Clerk does not guarantee the legal sufficiency of these forms; therefore, you may need to consult with an attorney regarding your particular situation.